Friday 9 January 2009

Index Card Box

This box started out as a Washing Powder Box, but it was so strong and when you close it, it just stays that way without popping open again.....far to good to throw away, as I knew one day it would come in handy for something!


I am a complete airhead when it comes to remembering birthdays, even within my own family. So this year I am determined to not forget a single one, so I created this box to hold index cards, one for each member of the family or friend.
I also made dividers, one for each month of the year. Will it work? honestly,
I just don't know, but it's certainly got to be worth a try!


Over on the ScrapaGoGo Clubhouse, one of my fellow design team members Nicola has challenge all GoGo Kit subscribers to use up our old /past kits. On this box I used papers from January 2008 kit, from Making Memories 'Noteworthy Range'. I chose not to embellish the box any further, because it going to sit on my desk and I really don't want it to have to much on it that collects dust...not fond of dusting me!
It also fits the requirements for this weeks Arty Girlz challenge, which is "anything but a card" just nicely.
1) I began by carefully stripping of the advertising paper from the box, leaving a blank chpboard base to work with. I choose to strip some of it right back to expose the corrogated card, to give it a distressed look. This is of coarse optional...
2) I then painted my box with acrylic paint and set aside to dry
3) I cut out panels of patterned paper for each of the sides, I left the bottom simply painted.
4) Glue the panels in place, I chose to make them slightly shorter, to allow the paint to show at the edges.
5) I then glazed the whole box with matt glaze {gesso} tinted with a little paint and allowed to dry completely, which did lift the paper a little...but I like that look, again it is just preference.
6) Finally, I rubbed a little gold leaf wax embossing paste on areas that I wanted it, when dry I then buffed it up!

18 comments:

Dawn said...

Hiya Jane
It's gorgeous! Great idea!!
Have a great weekend!

Hugs
Dawn
x

Macpurp said...

this is great.
love tina x

nikkisnoveltygifts said...

That's a fab idea Jane. Love it! :)

Dawn said...

Hee Hee Jane!
the leaves are sticking out from the wee circle sentiment!!
Well it's more branches with leaves really than leaves on their own I suppose!!

Hugs
Dawn
xx

Claire said...

Oooh Jane this is lovely.
x

Tracy said...

That is gorgeous. I might steal the idea, been thinking of something similar for my daily photo!

Heather said...

Jane it's lovely and a great idea! Hope it works!!

Love Heather x

Julie Allain said...

Brilliant idea Jane and I love the papers you've used

Thanks for joining in with Arty Girl

Julie xx

julietk said...

A very useful make ,I hoard boxes that may come in handy too : ) Juliet

tiggertastic said...

fantastic make Jane, very good idea as well

Sarah x

Crissi Harvey said...

Gorgeous box jane and such a good idea

Thanks for joining in with the Arty Girlz challenge.

crissi xx

Fiona said...

Great idea Jane - I was throwing one out the other day and thinking I'm sure I could use this for something. Hope you have a great 2009.

Dawn said...

Hi Jane

I have an award on my blog for you!


Hugs
Dawn
xx

Max said...

Great result Jane ... I also have a collection of 'boxes that will come in handy' just waiting for me to do something with.
One day ... LOL!

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx

June said...

Fab box Jane :) Love that sort of thing
Hugs June

CrystalFire said...

That's a great idea Jane. I suffer from a similar affliction so I might just make myself something along those lines too. And its a good incentive to do the washing, I've got loads of tablets left! Its a pity the cat food sachet boxes aren't as sturdy, I get through them like nobody's business!

Unknown said...

Jane - this is fabulous X

Sandy said...

Wow Jane this is excellent.
Unbelievable box. Love them.

Thanks Jane for playing this technique on SaWo.